PMMA sheets clear
PMMA sheets are 92% transparent, this is much higher than regular glass. The combination of the high transparency with PMMA’s ability to filter UV light makes it the perfect choice for windows.
PMMA is an economical alternative to polycarbonate (PC) when tensile strength, flexural strength, transparency, polishability, and UV tolerance are more important than impact strength, chemical resistance and heat resistance.
PMMA is 100% recyclable, it can be formed into sheets that are used in construction for windows and doors, medical sector, advertising industry and more.
The material is similar to polycarbonate and is suitable for use as an impact resistant alternative to glass (particularly when the high impact strength of PC is not required). It is generally considered one of the clearest plastics on the market.
Common uses include lenses, acrylic nails, paint, airplane windows, security barriers, medical devices, LCD screens, COVID 19 protection panels and furniture. Because of its clarity, it is also often used for windows, tanks, and enclosures around exhibits.
- Car windows, smartphone screens to aquariums.
- Shatterproof replacement for glass
- Glass roofing, façade design, advertising, automotive headlamps, etc.
- PMMA sheets are used for designing LED lights where it helps maximize light emitting potential
- Acrylic is also available as a filament for 3D printing (typically available as a transparent, white, or black filament).
- Due to its transparency and stiffness, PMMA is also used as 3D Printing material.
- PMMA sheets are used in automotive industry as car windows, motorcycle windshields, interior and exterior panels, fenders etc. Also colored acrylic sheets are used in car indicator light covers. It is also used for windows of a ship because of the salt resistance.
Advantages of PMMA:
- Transparent polymer
- Better scratch resistant vs other clear plastics
- Clarity, Lighter alternative to glass – Excellent light transmission
- High resistance to UV light and weathering,
- Economic substitute for polycarbonate
- Can be cut using laser
- Available in a wide variety of colors
- PMMA can liquefy, which allows them to be easily injection molded and then subsequently recycled.
- Chemical resistance to detergents, cleaners, inorganic acids, alkalies.
- Does not contain or release Bisphenol A (BPA) during hydrolysis
- Low moisture and water absorbing capacity, due to which products made have good dimensional stability.